(CNN)Devin Patrick Kelley, the gunman who killed 26 people at a Texas Baptist church, suffered three gunshot wounds, including a self-inflicted shot to the head, Texas authorities said Monday.
Authorities: Gunman went to the church ‘with a purpose’
- In August, 2014, Kelley was arrested on an animal cruelty charge, a misdemeanor offense, in El Paso County, Colorado, according to the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office. A witness said Kelley punched a dog with a closed fist, grabbed it by the neck and dragged the animal, officials said. Kelley, who was living in a Colorado Springs RV park at the time, denied the account. He was issued a summons but did not spend any time in jail for the offense.
- Before the shooting, authorities say Kelley looked suspicious at a nearby gas station. “He was obviously suspicious to others based on the way he was dressed in all black,” Martin said. He said Kelley also had a black mask with a white, skull-type face on it, but it was unclear whether he was wearing the mask at the gas station. Kelley was wearing a ballistic vest with a plate on the front, Martin said.
- Live updates on Texas church shooting
- How it happened
- What we know about the rifle used in the massacre
- About 4% of town’s population killed
- These men may have prevented Texas mass shooting from getting any deadlier
- What we know about suspect Devin Patrick Kelley
- The New York attack was labeled ‘terrorism.’ The Texas shooting wasn’t. Here’s why
- Why Americans don’t give a damn about mass shootings
- Pastor’s 14-year-old daughter among the victims
- How Christians can respond to this latest shooting
- Why mass shootings don’t change the politics of gun control, in 1 Trump quote
- Mass shootings in America are a serious problem, and these 9 charts show just why
- Gun violence: More complicated than a “mental health problem”
- Ten of the 20 people wounded remain in critical condition Monday, authorities said. And virtually no one at the church was left unscathed, Wilson County Sheriff Joe Tackitt said. “I think nearly everyone had some type of injury,” the sheriff told reporters Monday.
- After Kelley left the church, he was confronted and shot by an armed resident, Stephen Willeford. After Kelley was shot, he called his father, telling him he didn’t think he was going to make it, Martin said. That’s when Kelley shot himself.
- It was not immediately clear whether Kelley died from the self-inflicted gunshot wound or from being shot by the resident. “However, investigators found evidence at the scene that indicates the subject may have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound,” Martin said.
- Investigators have reviewed video footage from inside the church, Martin said.
- Texas school district superintendents said the Floresville Independent School District lost two students, while three others were injured. One student was killed and three others injured from the La Vernia Independent School District. “It’s devastating. It’s very difficult for the families our staff members are just so upset and these children are their children,” Floresville Superintendent Sherri Bays said, tearing up.
Who were the victims?
Who was the shooter?
How the attack unfolded
The grief and support